Sunday, October 21, 2012

Seven years old yesterday.

We wake up together in the family bed after a late night watching Pirates of the Caribbean.
"It is saturday " he says..." we saw the pirate movie yesterday evening".
Happy birthday I say smiling. How old are you today.
"I am seven"
No drilling this time to remember and understand how age works, he just knows. The use of time concepts comes easily and fluently into his thoughts. Pronoun confusion is history.
It was a bit scary was it not? I ask.
"Yup" it was a bit he admits.
Where is my teddy he asks me and then finds it, and a book. He takes care to situate the toy so it will see the book and then reads to the teddy. Now he is hungry, he says when he is finished and we go downstairs to feed our children.
We spent months on the theory of mind programs last winter and there it is...in use.

His patience wore thin as the film went on, it is too long but he refused to go bed and I let him stay up with his brothers, it was their sisters turn to pick a film.
Pizza and a film for a friday night. And then I took him to my bed so he would fall a sleep quickly and not be disturbed by his older brothers still stuck in the action of fighting pirates...

We get up and start preparing for the family party.
Are you baking a cake for my party? He asks.
He is asking a lot more than he did before the summer and we are pretty close to our goal of at least twenty questions a day. How questions kicked in last august and now I hear one every day.
Why and when need a bit more work I guess.

He is now I would say somewhat conversational at least with adults and with his brothers as they give him the necessary help to sustain the flow of a conversation.
He loses the thread with his class mates though.
He picks a classmate and a question to ask everyday in school. Last week he asked if B had a pet. B told him yes and the day after B brought a picture of his pet to school to show Sturla.
We are trying to build some connections. One question a day may not be much but it makes him seen and acknowledged.
Nothing is built in one day.
Patience.

His teacher is sweet and willing to accommodate and his aid his wonderful. Our consultant attends the meetings with the school and she is listened too.
So far so good.
He sits with the class the whole day and rarely needs a break. He is learning the same as they and refuses to be taken out of class when they are doing something he already knows like reading. The class is on beginners level and he is reading like he was in second grade. He reads fast and fluent...but he wants to do the same as they do, so he stays.
The school uses incidental teaching. There is knowledge of both aba and teacch. But they do not  use either method in particular. Accommodating each student as they see fit... I go with it.
I will not rock this boat.
The best thing is, Sturla loves going. The first time in three years I do not feel guilty leaving him.
it is a good feeling and makes our lives so much easier.
The goals for this winter include listening to group instructions and to keep on working on his assignments. He drifts off if left to his own devices and needs to learn to stay on task.
His mind wandering to who knows where...like when he sees the trees and leaves moving, he is lost in the wind and the light and the movement.

The piano goes as well as always we still have that wonderful teacher. He will be finishing that first suzuki book before Christmas, music is just amazingly effortless.

He wants a Parrot for his birthay.
This he decided last winter. When his brothers rescued a stray parrot...which later was returned to its owner, a little six year old boy that cried from joy when he saw his beloved bird.
We get him a parrot.
...he picks one, a bright pale yellow bird just like the one that we found and he names him Mikki.
...like the parrot I told him about that I had when I was little.
He remembers more than I know and seems to retain more knowledge than I am aware of. I see more and more of examples of it.

He is thrilled when the doorbell starts ringing and the guests arrive. He is happy about all the presents and shows interest in everything.
Happy birthday the guests say and he replies happy birthday....it is enough to say thank you I whisper.
But he is to excited, to remember.
He loves an angry birds t-shirt with lights on and fart balloon.

He does better with each birthday and I have to remember how time is after all on my side. I have been fighting time so long trying to teach as much as possible in the shortest time possible stressing myself endlessly and now I see it flower, as he makes it his own.
I love to see him unfold...I like what I see.

...and so it goes on.
 It is a marathon and I am catching my breath this weekend. We are going swimming and I have decided not to mind that we are low on hours because we are also entering a new stage where a shift is needed.
I need to grasp how to go about it.


8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your boy. Seven feels so long ago for me. You have plenty of time... there is no cut off limit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so very very true
    happy birthday beautiful boy - you have many people wishing you well from across the ocean

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference a year makes! Happy Belated Birthday Sturla! I just love that he loves school and piano lessons! It's awesome that he is asking classmates questions!! I hope he and his new parrot have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! It's wonderful when happy things like this happen in our little peoples' lives. Jack is now 8, so for maybe over a year he has decided to ask me one billion questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for the tide to reach a billion...;)

      Delete