Friday, April 27, 2012

Day three, doomsday.

The last day of evaluation Sturla goes with just a bit of complaining and his mood is rather sour. He finishes the assessment with the speech therapist although he occasionally lays his head on the table and pretends to snore but he  refuses to work with the other one. So we skip the rest of the testing. They say they can go without it as one test covers some areas of the other one.
We are all exhausted and we are done.

Today the results gave us some idea where he stands among his peers.
He has both expressive and receptive language disorder and that is a huge factor in holding him back.
He no longer has a diagnosis of mental retardation. He has gained somewhere between 25 and 30 points in three years.
The road is still  uphill and we are still in the lower range but...
On nonverbal tests he scores as his peers. Still the charts look like the Swiss alps. Reading and writing skills are now called strenghts, nonverbal tasks as well.
He is still almost two years behind in language.
He is gaining language at least on a normal speed perhaps a tiny bit faster.

This was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. It was not great and I think he can do better but I know where we were and I also know where we are headed.


The doctor who turned the results over to us met us three and a half years ago. I did not believe he could go that far she says.
I make an inward snort...
Did you not... I think... This is the reason I do not share his files with the schools. No one will put a lid on his abilities.
We are not going to allow it.
They will get a rudimentary list of skills and strenghts they will know that he can learn as his peers and that he has a language disorder on top of his autism.
What is Autism anyway. All those children are so different.
The doctor talks about how complicated it will be to meet his needs probably meaning his alp like charts. I do not know, perhaps it is perhaps it is not.

Sturla is a happy go lucky boy when all is well, he has a hard time paying attention he has a hard time talking. He is gadget guy a reader now and an amazing piano player. He is interested in other kids but does not know how to interact and cannot follow their conversation.
He is a sweet natured child, he never hits and seldom screams.He is not difficult himself. It is just hard to keep his attention. He needs a very good structure to focus and stay on track.
All I know is that I am glad this week is over and that we can continue our work and I can focus on teaching him again.



13 comments:

  1. I'm glad this week is almost over as well. I'm also glad he has you for a mom. There should be no limits placed on any child and the fact this was done by a professional saddens me. I'm glad you can see right through her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try my best ignoring professional opinion on my sons possibilities. But it can be hard keeping those fingers in my ears.

      Delete
  2. Glad it's over and that you have an idea where he is, comparated to where he was a few years ago. Given that he has progressed in so many areas that much in three years, I can' wait to see what it looks like three years from now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's fantastic! I'm so happy for you - that progress and the resulting profile are so hopeful.

    Language is a bitch you can tame....

    You have done so, so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am not sure it is too hopeful but we have made progress, those professionals did not feel he was closing any gaps. but I am not listening very hard just bracing myself for the years ahead and the road to independance will be long.The gap is not widening at the moment at least. Iam so glad to see you are still dropping by :),, damn this language bittch, never would have believed myself saying so. everything has been about words in my life...just not the lack of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "everything has been about words in my life...just not the lack of them."

    Right??! Lament of Autism Moms everywhere. Maybe Sturla could put that to music for us.

    To hell with the professionals. It takes years to close the gaps for some kids. The age seven thing is a myth - Boo's fastest progress started around age 12.

    I'm working too much to be on the net these days, but email any time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never let a stranger limit your child's potential. He has made so much progress, just think how much more he's yet to make. There's no way to go but up, and he has you to show him the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I think so too. Everyone in those meetings though sort of tread carefully and are more concerned about us not being too optimistic and helping us face reality so...

      Delete
  8. OMG OMG so fantastic
    you are awesome to let no one ever put a lid on his abilities

    ReplyDelete