Sunday, March 18, 2012

The meme I have been tagged for...



I am not quite getting the hang of memes and tags...
but being a good sport...
and as both Marsupial mama and my new blog friend Flannery both tagged me
I comply.
And I am flattered

ten things you might not know...

My earliest memory is from Norway from the time my father studied there in the seventies and I was about eighteen months old.
It is snow everywhere... but given my short stature it might have been quite average.
My parents built me a snow horse and I remember anticipation and excitement, when I was put on back... there was this terrible disappointment when nothing happened... I very clearly remember that I expected something more...
there it is my first memory is utter disappointment in reality.

I have extremely bushy eyebrows which I never pluck.
Thanks to Brooke Shields who was on the front page of Vogue when I was at a vulnerable age.
Thanks to my father from whom I inherited my eyebrows and general looks, and whom I still miss fiercely.
Thanks to my great great grandfather the shark hunter from the north and whose eyebrows are depicted very clearly on a statue put up in his honor on the island where he lived and hunted.
Thanks to Frida Kahlo who is just a marvelous artist and always looks stunning with those raven wings across her face on every self portrait she ever painted.


I grew up in the cold war.
Iceland's fortune was to be in the middle.
My father had long hair and radical opinions... my mother had a more conservative view of the world.


I remember being babtised. I was five.
At the confirmation my father asked if I was OK if he did not come to the church, I was relieved... I did not want him to see the parade.
Religion annoys me.
I think it is genetic.

I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up so I tried law and was disappointed. Then I switched over to philosophy.
Then I wanted to be an artist so I went to art school and studied sculpture.
I still do not know what I want to be.
I am a wannabe.

My husband and I met almost twenty years ago. My father died that same summer.
My daughter is almost nineteen.
children grow
Time flies.
Things happen fast

I did not plan to have five children they just happened again and again and again and oops then I did it again.
I am glad they did.

I used to read a lot as a child and when I read I was so totally immersed in the book that I literally could not hear anything in my surroundings.
People had to touch me to get my attention.
That ability or disability sorted itself when I had children.

My sons were all born at home. I read as obsessively about home birth as I now read about autism.
I was fascinated when women told of painless birth.
I wanted to experience it and I did.
Sturla's birth was nothing less than magical.

I still like fantasy better than reality.

12 comments:

  1. SO many interesting things about you!! How awesome that there is a statue of your gggrandfather even if he has bushy eyebrows! Such an honor! I am in awe that you had all your sons at home and have a 19 yr old daughter! I also get lost when I read (never used to but do now...I love being able to saturate myself inside books and stories.) I'm glad you played along with being tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the eyebrow thing as well and so does my husband. Our poor kids didn't stand a chance.....

    Lovely to get to know you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... ours are quite furry as well.

      Delete
  3. painless birth! I can't even imagine, but I am extremely intrigued just the same. The birth of my daughter was painFULL!! I was in the hospital, but had no pain medication.

    I enjoyed your list very much. Your father sounds like an interesting, enigmatic person. I miss my mother terribly. She died 2 years ago this April.

    I would be very interested to hear what you've discovered through your readings on Autism! I agree with Lizbeth: it is lovely to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say my daughters birth did not go unnoticed...
      and thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I really loved this post, getting to know more about you and your life, and it sounds as though magic and fantasy are important to you too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Star wars and lord of the Rings... good stuff

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this post so much!! Now I want to know even more about your father and grandfather, and about painless home birth! And also, I don't know yet what I want to be either, and I'll be 42 this year. I think maybe I'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries... I am turning 43. We are lucky
      ...just infinite possibilities.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely loved reading this post and learning a little more about your life... I can also really sympathize with the disappointment in the snow horse, I had an experience like that.. :)

    ReplyDelete