Monday, April 18, 2011

Snow and spring

I am in desperate need of a summer and the lilies in my garden that so bravely stick their green heads above ground are really risking their lives.
It is still snowing.
I could have taught my students a lifesworth amount of vocabulary about the weather in one hour just by looking out the window. Snow sleet hail sun and a sudden rain.
Springtime.

We have been trying to run an ABA program ourselves and participating in the ABA programs available by our wonderful scandinavian wellfaresystem offered by our public playschool system for about one year and eight months I am crazy enough to be counting the months... this glorious setting will be available for one year and four months more.
We are still trying to get the program to run smoothly, we are still talking about hours and the necessity to have clear goals in every possible setting and we are on our third playschool.

After next year we will have to look at our options and think of the right settings, at the moment I feel that a miracle has to happen for him to be mainstreamed or perhaps it is still snowing in my brain.

I am no spring flower.

So what is up.
Our private consultant is coming in, every two weeks now and so hopefully something will happen in the social domain at play school. Hopefully some goals will be put down and some even met.

I have been thinking about pulling him out and stay home with him.
We can barely afford it.
It might not be for his social benefit in the long run.
I might go nuts.

On the other hand.
We could manage by stop using our diesel devouring monster of a car.
He is a part of a herd... having three older brothers and a truckload of nephews.
I might relax a bit as I hate all those meetings. I am much better in one on one meetings.

I did let go of my own home program for a while in an effort to trust the play school.
Not a good idea.

So I am constructing a new home program again.

We are working on.
The diary. I want him to retell something that happened in one or two or perhaps if I push it a three sentences. I went to the store with mom and we bought food.

Why something fits together. Building word analogies. Whye does a foot and a sock fit together. Aha because we wear socks on our feet.

Three step commands. Necessary for building up play skills and a prerequisite for several other programs I have my eyes on.

I am revisiting prepositions. Some were left out and some need more generalising.

PLay. Go fish...
Playing with dough and making his own figures and make them do stuff. So make a snake make a pitsa for your snake put pepperoni on the pitsa make your snake a bed and a house. Make another snake and let it come for a visit.
We draw a lot and we play a pretend game pretending stuff is something other than it is a dish can be a steering wheel or a drum, a spoon can be a tail and a guitar and so on.

sounding out lower case letters.

other things that i am trying to generalize and increase in frequency is asking questions and we are still working on pronouns.
Busy, busy.

The books on my night stand are Teach me language, Reaching Out Joining in an Teaching children with autism to mind read.
Gone are the days when I read nothing but novels, fairy tales and fantasy.
Does this mean my mind has expanded or has my world shrunk.
Shrink shrank shrunk, the silliest verb in English.


I really want that spring.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry.

    It's really tiring as time goes by, isn't it? Whenever I read your blog, I remember those days, all the work and the constant worry about are we doing enough, is this working, can we do something better, something different? And the constant need for some sun and a vacation.

    And I have no advice, except keep it fun and joyful if you can and don't stop with the 3-step commands, we left that one behind and we seriously regretted it.

    Please let me know if I can help in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. many many many hugs
    I know how difficult it is
    "I have been thinking about pulling him out and stay home with him" I hear you
    I have thought about it too

    ReplyDelete