Saturday, March 12, 2011

Language evaluation

Raynell test showed him to be at the level pf 2.6 years old in expression and 2.8 in understanding.
I believe him to be about a half a year further with familiar people.
I am trying very hard to think about the fact that we have been doing therapy for about 19 months now. before he could not even be tested in language. There were no understandable words to the casual observer although I always insisted he was talking. And he did not comply to any commands. To busy running away and pacing back and forth.

I am extremely good at denial. I heard words even before I plastered my walls with pictures and began the incessant drilling. I absolutely did.

So in playing the optimist I say that we are doing good. 2.8 years of progress in language in 1.9.
Still I am sulking.
I just want a magic wand and make him talk and talk and talk.
He has a a lot of catching up to do.
Socially he is even more behind but academically he is pretty much age level.That is easy to teach that is why. Numbers letters colors and a dash of general knowledge. Matching and drawing is fine. Still he is not generating his own ideas very much although that happens from time to time.

He is already 5.5 years old and time is flying fast.
We got permission to delay him starting school for the next year. We have bought some more time for him in intensive ABA.

3 comments:

  1. He is really really doing great
    though I know exactly what you mean about the time flashing past
    I have a lot of trauma with Ist grade starting after summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be terrified too ...I guessn it just comes down to buckling the seat belts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2.8 years of progress in language in 1.9 is wonderful! But I know what it costs in worry.

    "Socially he is even more behind but academically he is pretty much age level.That is easy to teach that is why. Numbers letters colors and a dash of general knowledge. Matching and drawing is fine. Still he is not generating his own ideas very much although that happens from time to time."

    He sounds like my boy at that age. If he is like my boy - long haul, but success in the end.

    You write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete