Sunday, September 12, 2010

Some language and some jokes and some trouble

So... we have language... sort of.
We have sentences but we barely have a conversation. I have been waiting for communication for... what is it three years now. I would barely call myself impatient....
something is brewing though.
It is just that for every step he makes I want more more more.
There is not much echolalia any more. There is some spontaneous use of language asking for things, now and then a novel idea turns up now and then and even one or two jokes.

Sturla walks all hunched up, not standing upright and barely able to speak and says I am small, I am small.
Today he went to the toilet with me at the swimming pool. stopped for two seconds over the toilet with his little thing and said I am done peeing without peeing at all. Then he laughed...
those are his ideas of jokes.

Still he is barely conversational. He ignores more than half of everything that is said to him and is often unable to understand the other half.

I had the idea of implementing pronouns into an exercise in the first last program we finished a few months ago.
So... take first this and then that, and then I ask what did you take first and what did you take last.
I had a doll on the table so instead of saying doll I said her in icelandic it sounds like hana which also means rooster actually.
He fell under the table laughing.
OK ok take first doll and then whatever else there is.

Pronouns have been a struggle. Perhaps because language wise he is not ready for them. He knows now the basic words but implementing them is another thing. I mean he is not reversing them he is just not using them at all.

The language disorder is hard and it sucks. He has such a hard time deciphering what people say. All words that sound remotely alike seem to sound the same to him.
receptive language disorder I would guess but we do not weed out the disorders that make all this into autism, do we.... it just goes all into the same ununderstandable melting pot of autism.

He is losing his therapist at play school. I am having regular anxiety attacks because of this and as usual my main strategy in coping is getting angry.

Damn damn. why can we never be secure with anything. Therapists with any experience at all are hard to find.
I want some one who is thrilled by him and loves seeing him succeed. I have such a hard time trusting the playschool and all the package our wonderful well fare system in our social democratic scandinavian world brings to me so generously free of charge.
I am meeting a very nice psychologist and an ABA therapist next week to straighten up our social workout. God ... please make it work out.
This I have to pay out of my own pocket or find some pocket who is willing.

1 comment:

  1. its always like this for me also
    I simply hate when someone I trust leaves
    Its the terrible sense of alone-nesss

    ReplyDelete